Friday, August 17, 2012

Not by Might or Power

Zech. 4:6-7
Then he said to me, This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts. Who are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you shall become a plain. And he shall bring forward the top stone amid shouts of Grace, grace to it!


God's word to Zerubbabel reminded him that no matter the difficulties in rebuilding, whether practical, political, or spiritual, they would not be overcome by the conventional means of human power and might. The needed resources that would only come by an outpouring of the Spirit of God. The Spirit could reduce these mountain-size obstacles to a mere plain, flattened and obliterated. As the building would be completed with the top stone in place, the people would shout Grace, grace to it! The prophet's word would be validated and God's power and might would be made known and would be praised.

I see a picture of my life here, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. As I am being built a spiritual house, there are obstacles many seeming mountain-sized. But by the power of the Spirit, these mountains were and are reduced to plains. My spiritual house is being built! As each stone,and as the last stone, is put in place, I shout Grace, grace to it!  My spiritual house is all of grace, of Jesus and His saving power. It has absolutely nothing to do with my power or might, my gifts or disciplines, my scheduling or time management. It is all of grace! Praise God for such a saving and sanctifying gift!

Father,
Teach me more each day how to rely on You, Your power and might. Show me practically what it means to live only by grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment