Monday, August 6, 2012

Giving-an Act of Grace

II Cor. 8:5
...and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us.

In a severe test of affliction, the Macedonian church's abundance of joy and extreme poverty overflowed in a wealth of generosity. They gave above and beyond their means. In fact, they begged to take part in the relief of the saints. How unexpected! How could this be? I can remember so clearly  our years of poverty when we barely scraped by. I certainly did not feel like overflowing in a wealth of generosity. In fact, I was hanging on to every penny as tightly as I could. Perhaps that is why those hard years are not a good memory for me, but they were a great memory for these churches. In fact, it was not just a memory but became their reputation. Paul then goes on to urge the Corinthian church to excel in giving as an act of grace just like they had excelled in faith, speech, and knowledge. I feel my heart challenged as well to excel in this act of grace. Perhaps my attitude all those years ago reflected a huge lack of faith and relationship with God. I do know that those years were a low point of my spiritual life; in fact, my entire life. I think it must all be tied together. Giving comes from a heart in close fellowship with Jesus. If not it becomes a draining duty!

Father,
Thank You for warming my heart and bringing me through those terrible years. Continue to teach me to grow in giving, faith, speech, and knowledge.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment