Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hear the Word

Jn. 8:42-43
Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my  own accord, but He sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my Word."
 
Jesus continued His talk with the Pharisees, a talk that truly revealed the condition of their hearts. First, they felt He only bore witness of Himself, and consequently, His claims could not be true. Jesus explained to them that they judged only the flesh and were not receptive to the truth of the words He was saying. First, He restated the the Father sent Him. But since they couldn't physically see His Father, they did not believe. Then Jesus made a huge claim! If they would not believe in His words, they would die in their sins! Ouch! But instead of looking inward, they only asked again who He was. They did not understand that He had been speaking to them about the Father. They just didn't understand! Here the Son of God was explaining who He was, but to no avail. Jesus told them so clearly, It is because you cannot bear to hear my Word. That is still the problem today. Can people bear to hear the Word? Can they open up their hearts to let the Word transform them? Sadly, many are just like the Pharisees. They can only think on a physical level. They are too busy trying to discredit or tear the Word down. I wonder if many Christians are dealing with this same problem. Can they bear to hear the Word? How much of the Word do they allow in their lives? Daily, occasionally, on Sunday? The Word is the Logos, living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. How important is the Word in our lives!
 
Father,
Keep me saturated in Your words. Put within me a hunger that cannot be satisfied until I am in Your Word, knowing You better, living and breathing Your Words.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment