Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Virgin Bride

II Cor. 11:2-3
For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ. But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

Paul's concern for the purity and holiness of this group of believers was intense. His one desire for them was that they be presented to Christ as a pure virgin. This is the same presentation that all believers await. Are we as concerned about our own holiness as much as Paul was concerned about the holiness of these believers? Are we motivated by the thought that we are the bride of Christ, and that as His bride, we should be pure and virginal? Paul says that the problem this group of people was having had to do with their thought lives. He felt that they were being enticed and led astray from their sincere devotion to Christ much like Eve was. In Eve's case, it was disastrous and has affected every generation since. As a virgin-bride awaiting my groom, the Lord Jesus, I should be consumed with a sincere and pure devotion to Him, just like any bride whose thoughts are filled of her soon-to-be husband. Do I look into His eyes like a bride should? Do I want to spend all my time with Him? Am I devoted to Him carrying out His desires? Am I sincere without any pretense in my spiritual relationship? The betrothed bride relationship cannot be muddied by careless inattention or by intentional straying. This bride, out of all brides, must be pure, sincere, and faithful.

Father,
I thank You for covering me in the blood of Jesus so that I might be His pure, virgin bride. Reveal to me when I am being enticed to stray from my sincere devotion to Christ. Prepare me for the day that I will be presented to Him in purity and holiness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment