Saturday, August 25, 2012

Glorify the Father

Jn. 7:16-17
So Jesus answered them, My teaching is not mine, but His who sent me. It anyone's will is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on  my own authority.
 
As Jesus traveled through Galilee teaching, His brothers encouraged Him to go to the Feast in Judea. Sadly, they didn't believe in Him either. So what was their motivation in saying this? Did they know that the Jews in Judea were seeking to kill Him? Did they think this was a convenient way to get rid of Him? Was He an embarrassment to them? However, Jesus simply told them, His time had not yet come, and that the world hated Him because He testified to their evil works. Did those words sting their hearts?  Were they convicted at all because of the evil in their hearts? What about my words and actions? Do they testify of the evil in the world, or do I blend in? Can I really say the world hates me like it did Jesus?
 
His brothers preceded Him to the feast while He came up privately. Upon seeing the brothers, the Jews began searching for Jesus. Where was He? What is He doing now? About the middle of the feast,  Jesus went to the temple and began teaching. Those who were listening [Jews] marveled at His learning. What a quandary for them! Wasn't He the son of a carpenter, yet here He is speaking like a man of much learning. Too bad for them that Jesus did not fit one of their convenient labels. So Jesus told them directly that His teaching was from God and God alone. The distinguishing factor [that the Jews should have noticed] was that Jesus taught to glorify the Father and not Himself. This was the key to discerning falsehood from truth. His words should reveal who He really was? His words were Truth and only brought glory to the Father. Could this be a principle for all speakers, teachers, and even those who just share the gospel? What is our motivation? Is pride or self in the mix? Do the words we say everyday bring glory to the Father? Do they reveal who we really are? Perhaps they do and this is the problem! How much of self and pride infiltrates our words and our actions?
 
Father,
Reveal to me when my words and actions are seeking to bring glory to myself. Keep me in tune with You so that I can bring glory to Your name.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment