Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Alabaster Flask

Mt. 26:7

"A woman came up to him with an alabaster flask of very expensive ointment, and she poured it on his head as he reclined at table. "

What an act of devotion! Not only was the ointment expensive, but it was given from a heart that held back nothing. However, reactions to her act of love were strong. The disciples saw it as a waste. They felt it should have been given to the poor, but Jesus rebuked them saying the poor would always be there. He would not. After Jesus questioned the disciples, He said simply, "She has done a beautiful thing to me"... that will be "told in memory of her." Wow!

I want to hone in on her act of devotion. What I notice first is that it was an act of devotion. Her heart was so filled with love that it poured out in this generous and gracious act. How many times have I overflowed in an act of devotion to Jesus alone? In fact, what would an act of devotion be?

Secondly, it was costly. She sacrificed her all for her love for Jesus. Are my acts of devotion self-sacrificial? Could my 'self' be affecting my acts of devotion in quality and in quantity? What is my true heart's feeling? Am I willing to give all without fearing the loss for myself? Something to think about...

Thirdly, these acts will bring some adverse reactions in others. That tells me that this act was noticable to others. Devotion cannot be a secret thing nor can it be limited in any way because of others. This act is for Jesus alone in cost and in disclosure. Could it be that I haven't really experienced any criticism because I am not openly displaying my devotion for God? How would I go about doing this? More to think about....

Even though this woman was rebuked by others, she was praised by Jesus. What she had done was beautiful because it proclaimed the gospel, the death and burial of Jesus. Devotion must begin at the cross since it is the foundation for all that I am especially my devotion.

Finally, what this woman had done would be a memorial to her. Her act would not be forgotten. Still today as people read the Word, her act is touching others. I would have to trust God that my acts of devotion would serve Him in the lives of others. I do not think that she knew the far-reaching effects of her act nor was her motive to be remembered forever. Her motive and devotion was wrapped up in one word. Jesus! He must be my motive and devotion too!

I love what Jesus said, "She has done a beautiful thing to me." This is my heart's prayer that I will do beautiful things for Jesus, that I would be delighting Him.

Father,
My heart wants to be beautiful to You and for You, but how? Teach me. Change me. Mold me. Never let me forget the cross. My heart is thankful for Your hand in my life even though those words sound so inadequate.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment