Saturday, July 3, 2010

For Out of the Abundance of the Heart

Mt. 12:34b-35
"From out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil."
Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees about the condition of their hearts. He asked them a very probing question, "How can you speak good when you are evil?" There is the crux of the matter! If they were evil in their hearts, then good would not result. Jesus used their heart condition to teach a vital principle, that is out of the heart the mouth speaks. This principle applies to all humanity. What is in my heart will come out of my mouth. Maybe I can hide it for awhile, but eventually, when push comes to shove, it will pop out! So I think that these unkind, evil words are a signal that something is wrong in my heart. It is then that I need to spend some time with the Lord, searching, confessing, and reading His Word. I must constantly be aware of my heart's treasure. I can't be like the Pharisees who tried with all their human might to appear righteous even though their hearts were evil, but instead I need to be like Jesus who was God's good treasure to me in the flesh. He came to share God's love at the sacrifice of His life. This great cost proved His heart's treasure. Does my heart's treasure result in self-sacrifice, in giving freely and liberally to others, and in meeting the needs of others especially when it calls for sacrifice? I know that Jesus has put a new nature within me, but at the same time, I struggle with the flesh. Like Paul, I must say, "I have the desire to do right, but not the ability to carry it out...So I find it a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand." What a struggle to do right out of a good heart! But I can praise God that according to His power at work within me, I can have good treasure in my heart. I can grow in His grace and love. However, all of this comes at the cost of self-denial, of taking up my cross and following Him. What I need to do is guard my heart through the power of the Spirit who indwells me and helps my words reflect the goodness of God. I must never accept or justify my human flaws as the norm! Evil heart treasure should not be at home in my heart. It is my enemy not some horrible relative that I tolerate.
Father,
Thank You for saving me, for giving me new life, and or changing my heart. Spirit, convict me when I grow careless and allow evil to sprout and grow deep within my heart. Help me root it out so that my heart produces a crop of goodness. Let me speak words from Your fruit grown in me to full maturity.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment