Friday, July 16, 2010

My Words will not pass away.

Mt. 24:35

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away."

I am always concerned about the lasting quality of things whether it be clothes, shoes, yard tools, or even this computer. Lately, my computer has been doing strange things so what is my first response? Is this computer a piece of junk? It hasn't even lasted 6 months. I even have this same attitude in buying groceries. How upsetting it is to get home and have produce be inferior or rot in a short time! I have often thought that culture programs destruction. Things are made to wear out quickly so the cycle of buying and selling goes unhindered. How upsetting and stressful! But in the midst of this upheaval, is the one lasting thing, that is the Word of God.

This verse talks about destruction on a global level that is heaven and earth. So not earthquakes or tsunamis, floods or famine, man-made catastrophes or natural disasters can destroy the Word of God. What a blessing! Jesus is the living Word of God. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." God's Word transcends time and human intervention. He and His Words are eternal. So what is the basis for my life? Would I chose this world's system with its programed destruction, or would I chose the lasting, eternal Word of God? For me, the choice is easy. I want the Word of God!

Knowing this unbelievable fact puts life in perspective for me. It gives me a scale of significance for what the world has to offer and a guide as to where I should spend my time. When things break or accidents happen, I just remember that I am a citizen of heaven and a sojourner here. None of earth's 'riches' or 'possessions' will go with me. Knowing this helps me loosen my grip on the world's possessions. Not only that, but it helps me focus the use of my time. What will I do? What do I value? What kind of activities fill my days? Are they in pursuit of what the world offers or are they focusing on the lasting Word of God? How thankful I am that I have the eternal and time-transcendent Word of God in my life!

Father,

Thank You for the Living Word that You sent to save me. Help me to value these Words above all. Keep my grip loose to the world but strong toward You. Show me how to spend my time honoring You and Your Word.

In Jesus name,

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment