Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Where Is My Heart?

Mt. 15:8-9
"This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men."
Jesus was speaking of the Pharisees and the scribes when He quoted Isiah's prophecy. Since these people were not outwardly evil, but outwardly religious, they appeared to be the epitome of religion. Yet, Jesus looked beyond their exterior into their hearts. Sadly, they had perverted true worship by teaching their commandments as godly doctrine. Not only that, but their hearts were far from God. They were merely professional religionists who Jesus denounced as hypocrites.
As I read this, I have to wonder if I ever make my worship more of a form than a heartfelt reality? Do I ever adhere to certain traditions more than God's words? Do I act in a way as to say my life is alright, but allow wrong attitudes underneath? Even though I know God knows my heart, why do I persist in the charade? As I think about this, it breaks my heart to think that I might have done this. God calls for truth in my heart and in my actions. Hypocrisy is sin!
Father,
My heart is convicted. Even though I would never want to be like the Pharisees, have I allowed hypocrisy to sneak into my life? Spirit, reveal to me whenever I am not honest with You and with others. Keep hypocrisy far from my heart and my actions.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment