Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Better Hope

Heb. 7:19

"...a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God."

Why does the new covenant offer a better hope? What about it is infinitely superior to the old covenant? Initially, the former commandment was set aside because of its inherent weakness that is it made nothing perfect. Instead, it only exposed sin without giving a lasting remedy for the sin. It had as its priests men whose mortality gave discontinuity to the priestly line and to their priestly service. In a far superior manner, the new covenant was based on a priest who had the power of an indestructible life. This fact alone changed everything. Instead of many priests, there was one priest. Instead of mortality, there was indestructibility. Instead of multiple offerings for sin, there was one offering for sin that was once and for all. The fact of Jesus' indestructibility makes Him able to save to the uttermost all those who come to Him. Is there any doubt about His ability to save? No, 'to the uttermost' negates that possibility completely. But, not only does He live forever as priest, He intercedes forever. He lives to intercede for me! That sounds like it is the focus of His life. When I try and wrap my head around that thought, I am blown away. Why would the Son of God want to intercede for me, a drastically flawed, sin-plagued human? Wouldn't His time be better served in other places? Yet, praise God, He loves me that much! He loves and lives to intercede for me. What a better hope and covenant!

Secondly, I am reassured that His priesthood, though eternal, will always be righteous. Just imagine if an eternal priest would somehow become flawed and evil. How horrendous! There would be no hope! But Hebrews says I have a better hope because Jesus is sinless. There is no chance that His eternal reign will be eternally bad. In fact, verse 26 says he is holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens. Wow! Those descriptors ensure that my high priest will forever be effective and righteous. His once for all sacrifice can never be negated. It completely satisfied the payment for sin without becoming tainted in itself. It saved by sacrificing a life yet without sacrificing the essence of that life, its purity and holiness.

Thirdly, I have a better hope because my priest is the Son. He was not appointed because of His weakness, but because of His perfection. My priest is the Son of God whose mission was to offer Himself in all His perfection, to atone for all sin by assuming its penalty, and to bridge the separating gap between God and man once and for all. The Son is my priest! Of necessity, I have a better hope!

Father,
Open my eyes to understand the full depth of what this means. Take it beyond head knowledge to life-impacting heart knowledge. Thank You for such a high priest Who has given me a better hope! In fact, He has given me my only hope!
In His holy name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment