Monday, July 12, 2010

Prosperity or Adversity

Ecc. 7:14
"In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider:God has made the one as well as the others, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him."

God has made prosperity as well as adversity, but the difference in the two comes in my response. In the day of prosperity, I should be joyful because it has pleased God to bless me in this way. I need to remember that it has nothing to do with me or what I have accomplished. Not only does prosperity come from a sovereign God but adversity does as well. Though they both come from the hand of God, my response to adversity is to consider. Why would I consider in times of adversity and not prosperity? Certainly pausing to think would be a great response in either situation, but often in prosperity my life is centered on living and enjoying while in adversity my heart is drawing close to God seeking comfort and guidance. What exactly am I to consider? Am I to consider why my life is going down a rough patch, or am I to consider how God is there to be all that I need? From my perspective, I think the times of adversity are good because I am much more focused on God. Because of this focus, I grow in His grace whereas in prosperity my tendency is to be more focused on life and less on God. The neat thing is that both come from God. Since He knows what is best for my life, I can rest in what He sends. Whether it is prosperity or adversity, I know that it is for my good because "all things work together for good to those who love God and who are called according to His purpose."
God knows my end from my beginning. I do not! He sends exactly what I need and what is for my good. My response is to see His hand in all that is in my life, to surrender to His sovereign plan, and to be joyful and contemplative as He leads. I thank God that His grace is sufficient for my weakness in prosperity or in adversity.
Father,
As I live each day, let me see Your hand in all the haphazard details of my life. Teach me to love Your prosperity and Your adversity. Take my eyes off the uncomfortable times and put them on You, the Comforter.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment