Friday, July 30, 2010

Much More Excellent

Heb. 8:6

"But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant He mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises."

A life with Christ is always much more excellent, excellent in that He came to give life abundantly, His life for my life not only in sacrifice, death and suffering but in untold blessings. Initially, this abundance is mine by grace through faith in salvation and justification, but then that grace flows unstoppable transforming and conforming me to the image of Jesus in sanctifying power. Still it is one thing to read of this glorious power, but it is another thing to experience this glorious power. How does this all come about? How do I make these great concepts a practical reality? The verse says that this excellence is related to the better promises, the Word of God. Abundance in grace is commensurate to saturation in the Word. Apart from the Word, how would I know God in His nature, in His provisions, in His blessings, or in His will? The Bible is not just a book, it the very Word of God, filled with promises that are life-changing. It is my means of one-on-one communication with the Author of all life. Why wouldn't I chose this excellent ministry and these great and better promises? When I think about this, I realize how careless my heart still is and how inconsistent my desires. Even though I want to give all to God, when I look at my life and my affections, I realize that the world still has a strong pull.

Father,
You have given me excellence in Jesus and in Your Word. Purify my heart, my desires, and my flesh so that Your way is all that I want. Grow me in Your abundant grace.
In His name,
Amen

1 comment:

  1. What was it CS Lewis said? Something about preferring to play in the mud that at the beach? So often we prefer the inferior things over the excellence of God.

    ReplyDelete