Saturday, July 24, 2010

Made Like His Brothers

Heb. 2:17-18
"Therefore He had to be made like His brothers in every respect, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. for because He himself has suffered when tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted."
God's plan was that Jesus be made like His brothers in every respect. Since I am His sibling, He has been made like me in every respect. Because He was tempted, suffered, and died like a man, He knows my need for a merciful and faithful as a high priest. At times it is hard for me to wrap my head around these statements. He became like me in every respect, yet without sin. So how could He really be like me in all respects? This is something that I have to believe by faith. God said it, so I believe it. As a result of His life in human form, He became the propitiation for my sin. Without His being sinless, that wouldn't have been possible. So whether or not it is hard for me to understand, it is totally essential for my salvation! As the propitiation, He conquered death and sin destroying "the one who has the power of death, that is the devil, and delivered all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery." Wow! So many blessings from a loving brother who gave His all!
Then he went on to become my high priest. What does a high priest do? In the OT, the high priest not only offered sacrifices to the Father for the sins of the people, but He went into the Holy of Holies. In the same way Jesus is the sacrifice offered for my sin who He is in the very presence of God praying and interceding for me. Not only that but He is merciful and faithful: merciful because I am tempted and do not remain sinless; faithful because he never tires or grows impatient of interceding for me. Because I know he is faithful and merciful, I can come boldly to the throne of grace finding the grace and mercy that I need for every day.
Father,
What a plan! Continue to teach my mind and spirit so that I might understand You and Your way even more. Thank You for the gift of Your son as my brother, my sacrifice, my propitiation, and my high priest. He is my all!
In His most loving name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment