Tuesday, July 20, 2010

But He gave no answer.

Mt. 27:12-14

"But when he was accused by the chief priests and elders, he gave no answer...then Pilate said...But He gave no answer, not even to a single charge, so that the governor was greatly amazed."

To understand Jesus' silence, I need to remember v. 11, "Now when Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?" Jesus said. "You have said so." Was there really any more to say? His answer was definitive. It was the satisfactory answer to all the charges.

But still I think there is something more to consider. First, I see that Jesus didn't defend Himself. I have found that when I am under fire, a defense can often make me look guilty. Even though I have never really understood that phenomena, I know it is true. Some years ago, I was in a situation like this where I was falsely accused and had to be taken to a "trial' of sorts. My accuser's charges were ripe with lies. At first I tried to defend myself, after all, what he said was untrue. But the more that I said made what he said seem credible. Defending myself took me down to his level, but silence did not! Of course, I am talking about a situation where I was innocent.

Still, the nature of my silence must be a consideration as well. Jesus was not standing there silently defiant, with an attitude, or with bad body language. Instead, He was meek like a lamb being led to the slaughter, because in fact, He was! Christ likeness in me must resemble this same meekness. By its very nature, meekness is not motivated by pride especially injured pride. When I am falsely accused, does my pride run roughshod over the situation? Is my wounded pride more important than my godliness or my right relationship with God? In the heat of the moment, when the fire of my pride burns strong, is Jesus my example?

I think that Jesus could respond this way because He knew and trusted in the will of His Father. Like I Pet. 2:23 says, "when He was reviled, He did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but continued entrusting Himself to Him who judges justly." There is the rub! Jesus could trust the Father for all the details of His life, the good ones and the horrific ones. Am I trusting Jesus for all the details of my life, especially when I am falsely accused, or do I feel the need to control my own defense? Do I feel that the Father somehow has lost control of my situation? No, I know He never does, but sometimes I don't act like it.

Father,
Reveal my root of heady pride. Give my Your strength to root it out. Let my see and accept Your hand and Your plan in all the details of my life. Transform my self-sufficiency to selfless trust in You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment