Monday, July 26, 2010

The Throne of Grace

Heb. 4:16

"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

Thank God, I can draw near with confidence because of my high priest, Jesus Christ. As a high priest, Jesus was tempted yet without sin, but at the same time, He experienced humanity and suffering to the fullest extent. He understood the pull of the flesh and the enticing power of Satan. Because of this He has a sympathetic heart. Out of this great heart, grace and mercy flow freely and continually to me.

Why is this grace so important? The answer is simply: without grace I would be nothing. "My grace is sufficient for you for my strength is made perfect in weakness." Without grace where would my sufficiency be? Since I am always and only a flawed, weak human being, I will always need His grace. As Paul said, "By the grace of God I am what I am," so I must say as well. Whether or not I become a spiritual giant like Paul, or I stay a struggling, weak Christian, it is all related to the grace of God in my life. How much of the grace of God do I humbly seek at the throne? How much of God's grace do I allow to transfrom my flesh? Am I abundant in grace or impoverished in grace?

Why the imagery of a throne? I think it is because God's grace must reign in my life. Just like any sovereign ruler, grace must have complete control and not require a half-hearted allegiance. Grace is much like a benevolent dictator, a dictator in the fact that grace must be the only way, but benevolent in the fact that mercy is given freely to walk this way. So why, if grace offers so much and promises to be all that I need, do I still try and operate in my flesh without coming to this throne? I think it comes down to my pride. To receive grace, I must be humble. " God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble." Humility and pride can never walk hand in hand. It is either one or the other. Sadly, I often choose my inadequate and debilitating pride instead of bowing before my sovereign King. No wonder I need a sympathetic high priest!

Father,
I can't believe that I would still choose my pride over Your grace. I can only confess and ask You to forgive. I humbly come asking You to fill my often foolish vessel with Your grace so that I might honor You in all that I do. Thank You for such an amazing grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment