Sunday, July 11, 2010

They did not ask the Lord.

Josh. 9:14-15
"So the men took some of their provisions, but did not ask counsel from the Lord. And Joshua made peace with them and made a covenant with them, to let them live, and the leaders of the congregations swore to them."
The Gibeonites were aware of the will of the Lord concerning their lives. They knew their future meant immediate destruction. So in an effort to save their lives, they crafted a deceptive plan to secure a covenant with Joshua to preserve their lives. After listening to their plea, Joshua did make this covenant, but Joshua "did not ask counsel from the Lord." Not only did Joshua not seek the Lord in this decision, but he disobeyed the previous command to destroy all the inhabitants of the land. It seemed an innocent enough situation so apparently Joshua felt he could make the decision on his own. Later, after he had discovered what had happened, he confronted the Gibeonites. The result was that they would be wood cutters and water drawers for the congregation and for the altar of the Lord. Was Joshua's decision justified? Was it enough to make the Gibeonites subservient, or was their subservience an ever present reminder of decision-making without the Lord's counsel?
It appears as if Joshua was trusting in his own superficial decision-making ability and not in the wisdom of God. He looked at what he thought were the facts and made a decision. What a warning to me! I think that I have made many 'Joshua' decisions. Like him, I mistakenly think I can figure out what to do. After the fact, it seems like such a foolish thing to do, but in the moment, it seems like the natural thing to do. Why would I opt for failure when I could ask God? I guess it comes down to my pride or my self-sufficiency. I think that I can handle those decisions in my own strength. And like Joshua, the effects of those decisions often have long-lasting effects. They become ever-present reminders of my foolishness.
Father,
Send Your Spirit to remind me always to ask You before I make a choice. I want to do Your will and be obedient to Your commands. Root out my selfish will and draw me ever closer to You and Your way.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment