Monday, July 19, 2010

Weak Flesh

Mt. 26:41
"Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
What a great reason to pray! Human flesh though weak in resolve is strong in humiliation! The account of the Peter and the two sons of Zebedee going to Gethsemane with Jesus is so revealing of this weak flesh. Jesus was severely burdened so He poured out His soul to the Father three times saying the same things each time. Even though His desire was to have the cup pass from Him, He said, "Not as I will, but as You will. " What an example of prayer! Pouring out the soul with the deepest of emotions, yet always wanting the will of God. When Jesus was going through this time of agony, He asked the three disciples to watch with Him. Sounds like a small thing...wouldn't any friend want to 'watch' with a friend who was going through a hard time? You would think... I am sure that these men wanted to watch, but their flesh won the battle. Sleep called, and they answered. They did this not just once, but three times. Are they learning from their mistakes at all? Do I learn from my mistakes? Amazingly, I make the same ones over and over again too.
Earlier in this story, Peter said some strong words. Jesus told the disciples that they would fall away like sheep because the shepherd would be struck that very night. Peter blurted out with force that no matter who fell away, he would not! Such resolve! Surely he would hold true to this. But Jesus told him that he would deny him this very night. Peter blurted out again, "Even if I must die, I will not deny you." Those words were the ingredients for a bitter, humble pie that he would eat that very night. Peter's pride in his own strength and resolve was his undoing. He was counting on his flesh to carry him through, but it did not.
Even though Peter had lived through two reality checks exposing his weak flesh, had he learned his lesson? Not entirely. When Judas and the cohorts came to arrest Jesus, Peter whipped out his sword and cut the ear off the servant of the high priest. Jesus admonished him even more strongly than in the other previous instances. "Do you not think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and He will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels?" But Peter was rolling in the flesh. He was out of control.
Finally, Peter endured the humiliation of having what Jesus said come true. He denied knowing Jesus three times. And as Jesus said, the rooster did crow announcing to Peter his flesh had won the battle over his resolve. What a deal! What a night for Peter! Failure after failure. The neat thing is that Peter did eventually learn this great principle and became a great shepherd to the flock of God. God did a mighty work in him.
What I see is the ever powerful and debilitating fleshly body that I live in! Apart from the power of God living within me, I could never hope to win over my flesh. My resolves would pretty much fall by the wayside. Sure there would be times of success, but it wouldn't last. However, the principle is not complete in just realizing the powerful flesh that many times controls me, I must 'watch and pray,' Praying is the means by which the flesh is defeated! When I think of times when I have repeatedly fallen prey to my flesh, I must confess that I really didn't pray. Prayer is my lifeline to God. It is my power source giving me His strength and power to make my resolves possible.
Father,
What a lesson! I know my spirit is strong, and my flesh is weak. I want to obey and honor You, but often I am defeated from within. Draw me to You in prayer as You drew me to Yourself for salvation. I need Your power to live as You would have me live.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment