Thursday, October 14, 2010

At War

Rom. 7:18
"For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out."

As I read this passage, I so identify with Paul, but at the same time, I realize that if Paul felt this struggle, what hope is there for me? But, isn't that my 'defeating' flesh speaking? Doesn't my flesh want to convince me that there is no hope, that I can't possible live like I should, so why try? Yes! But since this war between my flesh and my spirit is very real, God has made a provision for me. It begins in realizing that I can't live in the spirit by my flesh. I must admit that I am weak and helpless and that I need to use the grace that God so freely gives me. "My grace is sufficient for you for my power is perfected in weakness.  Therefore I boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." If I want the power of Christ, I must be living in and operating by His grace not by my flesh. Certainly, I will always have the struggle of my flesh and my spirit until Jesus comes and calls me home to glory, but in and through His grace, His power can rest on me. I can delight in God in my inner being and allow His grace to prepare me for the eternal weight of glory. Every time I feel the war erupting, I can confess, repent and cry out for more grace.  My 'defeating' flesh can be a signal fire that my grace reserves are running low. So what should I do? I must desire to delight in Him above all. My desire and my surrender must rise above the pull of my 'defeating' flesh. As I saturate myself in His Word and commune with God in prayer, my new man can grow and thrive. It is all of grace!

Father,
I confess the great power of my flesh and how I often give in instead of call for Your grace. Teach me what true repentance is so that my heart will be united with You. Your grace is amazing!
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment