Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Count It All Joy

Jas. 1:3-4
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."


James is addressing the trials that his fellow, believing brothers are experiencing. If they were like believers today, they would no doubt want to know why trials?? In these verses James gives one good reason that would enable his brothers to embrace trials with joy, though this joy does not negate the pain or the adversity. I can be joyous because God has allowed this trial to grow me, to produce steadfastness, that is endurance and longsuffering. When steadfastness has its full measure in my life, it will make me mature in Christ lacking nothing. That fact alone should be cause for joy! 

Paul wrote about this mature manhood in the fullness of Christ. He said that many of the believers were still infants able to assimilate only the milk of the Word when they should have been ready for strong meat. James is saying that to grow out of infancy, believers need trials! Since trials are character building, they keep us crying out for God's grace, His comfort, and His presence; in fact, prayer seems so much sweeter when trials have put an urgency in it. Not only this but trials put our focus on God, on things eternal. When things are good, what is the reason to grow? What is the reason to pray? It's easy to sail along with things as they are. In II Cor. Paul says that these "slight momentary afflictions prepare us for an eternal weight of glory." They open our eyes to the transiency of life refocusing it on what is eternal.

James was joyous, a joy that surpassed the circumstances of his life, the pain, the suffering, and even the trials because his joy was based on the indwelling Jesus Christ in the person of the Holy Spirit not on the his slight, momentary afflictions. If Christ is my base and my life is in Him, then I know that what I experience here is for my good because it will grow me into maturity in Christ. "For I know that all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose."  If trials are what God's purpose is for me, then I know it is good, and because it is good, I can be joyous!

Do I want to grow to maturity in Christ?  Do I want to feast on the riches of the Word?  Do I want a life of joy? Yes!  Because of this, I count it all joy when the trials come! The adversity has a reason, a benefit, and a blessing!

Father,
Keep my eyes focused heavenward as the trials come. Help me to desire growth more than escape. growth.  Grow me into the fullness of Jesus Christ.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment