Friday, October 29, 2010

Wisdom from Above

Jas. 3:17-18
"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."

Most people want to be wise, or at least considered wise by other people, but God's wisdom is drastically different from the wisdom that the world offers. Instead of business savvy, street smarts, and ambition, there is peace and gentleness. Instead of argumentation and back biting, there is reasonableness and mercy.  Instead of rewards that feed self, there is good fruit. Instead of partiality and subterfuge, there is impartiality and sincerity. The wisdom from God crosses our culture and grows an entirely different kind of person. Where pride and ambition reign in the world, humility reigns in God's economy. In fact, he who wants to be first will be last, and he who is last will be first. The results are different as well.  In the world the reward feed self with money, social status and position, but with God there is a harvest of righteousness sown in peace. What a contrast! What polar opposites!

It is no wonder that the world cannot relate to the ways of God. God's qualities are considered weak and useless because they do not create ambition and drive to be the best and the first, instead they create a satisfaction. a delight in God and a concern for the well being of others. What I have to ask myself is how much of the world's wisdom is still at work within me?  How concerned am I about others?  Am I still wanting to be recognized as good or even the best at whatever I do?  Do I speak harshly without gentleness? Do I favor certain people and shy away from others? I am afraid that many times these worldly influences seep out and stain my godliness.

Father,
Send your Spirit to convict and cleanse when the world and its influence seeps out of me.  Help me to grow in Your wisdom.  Grow in me Your gentleness, peace, mercy, reasonableness, impartiality, and sincerity. I want a harvest of Your righteousness not my self-righteousness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment