Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Gracious God

Ps. 67:1
"May God be gracious to us and bless us and make His face to shine upon us."

God is gracious! It is part of His character, of who He is, but at the same time God is just and will punish sin. Since the psalmist knew about God's character, he asked for God to show His grace and not His judgment to the people. Perhaps the psalmist knew that the people deserved judgment, but he was hoping for a different response from God. Since grace is undeserved and is given as a gift by God, he could rightly ask for grace for himself and his people. But why would God be gracious to a people who had been less than what He desired?  The answer is: for His own name's sake, for His good pleasure, for His will and purpose, and because of who He is. 

In addition to God being gracious, the psalmist wanted God's face to shine on them. What is the significance of God's face shining on the people? In Ex. when God was speaking about His grace with Moses, He stated that He would be gracious to whom He would be gracious.  It was a decision and choice of a sovereign God. But then God went on to tell Moses that He could not see His face and live because there was such power and glory! From this unbelievable glory, the psalmist only desired a reflection. He knew he couldn't see the face of God, but he asked for the light from God's face to shine on him and his people. If God would be gracious and let His face shine on the people, that would be the answer to his petition.

For me specifically, how do I access the grace of God and live in the light of His face? I think that the Word is crucial. It is there that I grow in His grace and knowledge. Jesus was grace embodied in the flesh. When He went back to heaven, He left the Holy Spirit to teach believers all things.  Part of His ministry is helping me live in all the fullness of God, His grace, and the reflection of His glory.  I would think to live like this that I couldn't allow sin to have any power in my life.  Sin cannot exist in the light of the glory of God.  If this was a prayer for the psalmist, it should also be my prayer.  I should ask specifically for His grace and for the light of His face to illuminate my walk and my way so that I might bring glory to His name.

Father,
Send Your Spirit to teach me and help me live in the light of Your grace and the light ofYour face.  Teach me what this really means. Convict  me of sin that blocks You from my view.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment