Monday, October 4, 2010

Mutually Encouraged

Rom. 1:12
"That is, that we may be mutually encouraged, by each other's faith, both yours and mine."

Paul's deep desire was to see the Romans so that he might share with them some spiritual gift to strengthen them.  Did Paul think his spiritual gift was of a better caliber than theirs?  No, it says in the next verse that he wanted to be mutually encouraged. There was encouragement to be had for the giver and the receiver in sharing a spiritual gift.  Paul would be encouraged because he was able to use what God had given him for his ministry, and the Romans would be encouraged by the life of Christ in Paul. Together they would be edified through the work of the Holy Spirit. God has designed spiritual gifts to be mutually encouraging.

My deep desire is to use and share the spiritual gifts that God has given me, but how? It seems to be no problem for Paul.  Did those he shared with think it was mutually edifying? Did they resent in any way Paul's sharing of his gift?  I know that Paul's heart was so full that it had to be shared, that His life was structured for this one thing alone, that Jesus be glorified in all he did and said.  I know that his heart was set on the growth of others. The neat thing is that when Paul shared, he was encouraged as well. 

Why does our culture make sharing these gifts of faith difficult?  Are we afraid to be submissive and dependent on one another? Do we feel that that makes us less of a person, or does jealousy and envy come into the mix? Are we too busy to share the gifts that God has given us? So many things to think about. I do know that sharing spiritual gifts builds the deep bonds that only come through Jesus. It builds a relationship that is mutually encouraging and causes the love of God to grow and flourish. I think as I grow more in Christ, I am seeing how all these gifts fit and work together. I see that I must seek to be encouraged as well as be the encourager! This thought alone changes the mental outlook in the sharing of a gift. It is not one person sharing with another weaker or younger person; instead it is a mutual sharing and encouraging. Both grow by sharing the God given gifts!

Father,
Show me how this sharing of gifts works.  Let Your Holy Spirit lead me in obeying Your Word in a God glorifying way.  Help me to be encouraged as much as You allow me to encourage others.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment