Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Sovereign God

Rom. 9:15
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."

Understanding a sovereign God is impossible and must be accepted by faith. First, Paul refers to Jacob and Esau. Even before their births or any of their own personal actions came into being, God set the course of life so that "God's purpose of election might continue." It all comes down to God's purpose and good pleasure.   

A second area that Paul addresses is thinking that God is unjust. The answer: " I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."  His mercies and compassions have nothing to do with deserving humanity, or a slice of humanity who have more potential than the others. It depends "not on human will or exertion, but on God who has mercy."  By Paul's use of Pharaoh, he goes so far as to show how God's sovereignty even hardens the hearts of some. So hard to understand!

Anytime man really thinks about these areas, his response is one of 'unfair.'  Why would God chose some and not others?  Why would God harden the hearts of some?  But Paul writes clearly, "But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, 'Why have You made me like this?' Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?"  I think man questions because he sees himself as far more than a lump of clay. He sees himself as worthy, able to save himself by his own works. He sees himself as a person of rights not a lump of clay. The problem is man does not see himself as God sees him nor does man see God as Who He is.  Man's vision is corrupted by sin and selfishness. Without God's mercies and compassions, where would man be?  Would all be lost?

Father,
Help me trust You in your sovereign purposes of election.  I thank You for Your choosing me to be saved and to serve You. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment