Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fights and Quarrels

Jas. 4:1-3
"What causes quarrels and causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. Your covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive because you ask wrongly to spend it on your passions."

What is the problem with many interpersonal relationships? Many would like to think that it is always the other person's fault, or that they are entitled to the things that other people have. At times people believe that certain people are just irritating and difficult to be around, but is this true? James says the problem comes from within each person, with their warring passions. These desires cannot be righteously met so horrible things result like murder and coveting. Murder sounds so extreme until I remember that Matthew says if you hate your brother, you are committing murder. Just imagine every person walking around with these passions and desires within them colliding and crashing into other people! What a huge struggle!

How many good Christians have feelings against other believers because of possessions, possessions that are to be coveted?  What about striving for position or recognition?  I think all these feelings are a reality within the church. I know that I have at times wondered why others seem so much more financially blessed that I am. I have not necessarily wanted their possessions, but I have reacted strongly when they speak about trusting God. In my mind it seems a little easier to trust when the finances are abounding, or are at least well ordered. But James is saying that the struggles for the rich and the poor are the same. The inner passions of all people are always at war desiring more. What to do?  Thankfully, I have the Holy Spirit within me as my own guard against these warring passions. When I am tempered by the Spirit and growing in His fruit then my passions are replaced with His passions. But this process is not instantaneous so I must saturate myself in the Word, praying when the passions rise, and seeking the grace that I need to resist. I must learn to value spiritual things more than temporal things so that I can be content with what God has blessed me. Is this going to be easy? No, it is like what Paul said in Rom. 7. What he desired was at war with the power of his flesh. The same goes for me.  What I need to do is to remember that when I am upset with someone else, I need to look inside me. It is a definite signal that my inner passions are warring. Sometimes what is upsetting about others is deeply entrenched within me.

Father,
Help me to call for your grace when my flesh begins to bristle so that I won't lose that battle.  Keep my eyes focused on You and wanting to please You more than anything else. Show me how to be content with Your provision for me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment