Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Marks of a Christian

Rom. 12:9-21

As I read this section, I am overcome by the need for the grace of God.  How else could all these evidences be firmly rooted in my life as a believer?  To name only a few: 
  • genuine love- as opposed to superficial love or love based on circumstances, social relationships, friendships, etc. Jesus modeled this love for me.
  • Abhor evil- this means evil in myself or evil I see in the world at large.  I think I should have strong feelings about evil because evil is such an affront to the holiness of God. I need to see evil in myself or in others in relation to the character and nature of God.  Then I would abhor evil as God does.
  • Hold fast to the good- whatever is good I need to grasp firmly. I am reminded of the verse that says no one is good except God so I need to hold fast to Him and His Word, to Jesus and the Spirit that He gave us.
  • Love others with brotherly affection- my sisters and brothers in the Lord are my family. I need to love them with  this close, personal, familial affection.
  • Outdo others in showing honor to others- When I think of this, I realize that showing honor to others is definitely lacking in my life. Yet, I an exhorted to outdo others. Showing this honor is an action based in humility not in seeking the honor myself. 
  • Be zealous and fervent in the Spirit- My passion in service, in prayer, and in study comes from the Spirit. I must know Him personally and  access Him according to His ministries in my life.
  • Serve the Lord- This is my ministry and should be foremost in my mind, that is, after my personal relationship with God. My service needs to be an outpouring of my intimate, consistent, and constant relationship with God.
  • Rejoice in Hope-  Hope is the motivation for rejoicing. I rejoice because of my hope in Jesus Christ and His imminent return.
  • Be patient in tribulation- Patience in persecution must be from the grace of God. 
  • Constant in prayer- It seems that all of these marks are dependent upon constant prayer for the grace and strength to be what God wants me to be. This is vital.
  • Give for other's needs and be hospitable-I need to be aware of others, sensitive to their situations, concerned and even using my home and groceries to meet the needs of others.
All of this is only from verse 9-13.  What about the marks of a Christian is verses 14-19?  How is all this possible?  As I read this examining myself, I know that my hope is in crying out for the grace of God.  My hope is in His power being perfected in my weakness. So is this section of Scripture defeating or informative? For me, it is not as much defeating as it makes me see that the only way possible for all of these marks to be seen in my life is through His grace.

Father,
I so want to have the marks of a child of God. Help me through Your grace. Send Your Spirit to mold, shape, transform, and conform me to the image of Your Son.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment