Friday, October 8, 2010

Thank God for His Grace

Rom. 1:10-18

When I read this list of descriptors of man apart from God, I can truly be thankful for a loving and gracious God.  In spite of the following facts, God reached down to me:
  • no one is righteous
  • no one seeks for God
  • all have turned aside
  • together they have become worthless
  • throats are open graves
  • deceiving tongues
  • venomous lips
  • mouths full of cursing and bitterness
  • feet swift to shed blood
  • paths of misery and ruin
  • know no peace
  • no fear of God before their eyes
What a bleak picture for man!  Amazingly, man still believes he is innately good and can save himself.  How self-deceived!  But why would God want to step in and reach out to a person drowning in this sea of sin?  Because, God is who He is! He is a saviour and protector. He is the epitome of love, grace, mercy, and kindness.  He loves me for His own name's sake and for His own will and pleasure.  So why is this so hard to understand?  Because I am not God.  Somehow my fleshly nature is not gracious or merciful.  I operate more on a 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.' I think people should be deserving of my love, grace and mercy.  But, thankfully, when God in His grace reached down to me and saved me, He put within me His Holy Spirit who is transforming me from the inside out filling me with His life-sharing fruit.  

Father,
Thank you for reaching out to rescue me from my own self.  Send Your Spirit to grow His fruit in me. Help me, not only, to grow myself, but to reach out to those who are still steeped in the slavery of sin.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment