Sunday, October 24, 2010

Grace in Action

Rom. 15:18-20
"For I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to bring the Gentiles to obedience--by word and deed, by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God...And thus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel..."

Paul demonstrates the inter working of grace and human responsibility very clearly. It is grace alone that allowed Christ to accomplish anything through him, grace alone that gave him his ministry to the Gentiles, and grace alone that gave him sign and wonders all by the power of the Spirit of God. This is the Spirit-led grace-filled life! Paul was not only giving rightful praise to Jesus, but He was confident in being used by God. But how could he keep from taking charge of what he was doing? Didn't he think that his many gifts, ideas, and plans would be useful? How did he make sure his plans were God's plans? Yet, even though I wonder this, I see that Paul did not. He was confident and and only spoke of what Christ was working through him.

In the midst of this total acknowledgment of the grace of God, Paul interjects "And thus I make it my ambition to preach..."  Paul was not sitting around waiting for grace to pick him up, move him from place to place, and embue him with power in preaching, signs, and wonders. No, it was his ambition to preach. He wanted to be used by Jesus more than anything else. Instead of worldly ambition, his overwhelming desire was for Jesus Christ and His gospel. He burned with urgency to share this message. He was 100% ready to go wherever and whenever. His will was united with God's.

So how did he do it?  It appears from this small account that he had surrendered his life completely, given up all worldly ambition, and was willing to sacrifice all for the gospel. When surrender characterizes the life, then the Spirit has free course to accomplish what He will.  Maybe that is my problem. I want to be  used to accomplish God's will, but am I completely surrendered?  Am I willing to give up all claims to comforts, pleasures, and even necessities?  Am I willing to be a vessel used and powered by the grace of God through the power of the Spirit of God?

Father,
Grow me in Your grace so that my grip on the world will be loosened so that I will be surrendered to you.  Take me down this path. Focus my eyes on You.  Unite my heart with Yours. Let me reflect You in all that I do.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment