Saturday, October 23, 2010

Joy, Peace, and Hope

Rom. 15:13
"May the God of hope fill you with a joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."

What an important prayer!  Here Paul prays about the deep human needs for joy, peace and hope. He know how people search desperately for happiness not ever really understanding joy, a joy that supersedes happiness, a joy that produces peace in tough times, in trials, and in devastating events.  With joy and peace a person can survive and keep going. Then Paul includes hope, a hope that keeps a person from being undone. Without hope, why go on?  What is the point?  What is the future? Living would become a futile going-through-the-motions leading a person  nowhere.

How are these needs met?  According to Paul's prayer, it is not in human achievement or performance.  It is not in the will to do enough to experience positive feelings, or the accolades of other people.  Joy, peace, and hope are from the infilling of God. This joy and peace are in believing which implies that something must be believed. I think that what is believed is the Word of God, the saving grace of the gospel. As the Word saturates the life, then joy and peace in believing fill the life.  What is my hope?  Looking for the glorious coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. This gives me a reason to keep keeping on, a reason to share the gospel, and a reason to grow in grace and knowledge. He is coming!  He is my hope! But exactly how is all this accomplished? The prayer says through the power of the Holy Spirit, the same Spirit who indwells, guides, teaches, leads, empowers, seals, intercedes, and so much more.  The Holy Spirit is God residing within me.  As I read and saturate myself in the Word, He takes that Word and produces within me the fruit of joy, peace, and hope.  So my prayer must be like Paul's, 'Through Your Spirit fill me with joy, peace, and hope. 

Father,
What a great gift is the Spirit!  My heart is so full of thanks. Help me to remember always to ask for His help for joy, peace, and hope, and keep my from trying to manufacture these qualities in my own strength.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment