Saturday, October 30, 2010

Number My Days

Ps. 90:12
"So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom."

This verse speaks of the relationship between time use and wisdom. What I do with my time either draws me closer to God or allows my flesh to pull me in the other direction. If in my time use, I constantly pursue activities of the flesh even though those activities might not be harmful in themselves, then my spirit is not fed the essential spiritual nutrients that it needs. On the other hand, if in the use of my time, I saturate myself in His Word, ministering and serving others, and submissively obeying His Word, then my spirit is fed and godly wisdom grows in my life. It becomes a matter of giving up what is good for that which is infinitely better!  

If the stakes are this high, why is it so easy to choose the fleshly activities over the spiritual activities?  I think it is how Paul expressed it in Rom. 7.  "For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my body."  Even though my battle might be the same as Paul's, I would have to say that the time I use wisely in pursuit of godly things is not in the same class as Paul's. His life exhorts me to make this verse my prayer, to live as I should through the power of the Spirit.

Father,
Teach me to number my days.  Take away my desire for worthless things and replace them with things of the Spirit that will grow me in Your wisdom. 
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment