Saturday, October 2, 2010

Even in Death

Lk. 23:47
"Now when the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God, saying, Certainly this man was innocent!"

Even in death, Jesus ministered to those around Him, seeking and saving those who were lost. One of the criminals who was crucified next to Jesus realized that Jesus was not deserving of this death, that He was  innocent, and that He truly had a kingdom yet to come. After admitting his guilt and the justness of his punishment, he asked Jesus to  "remember me when You come into Your kingdom." Jesus did not say this criminal's life style was too bad or that his timing was too late, but on the contrary, Jesus said, "Truly, I say to You, today you will be with me in Paradise." If the heart is right, salvation is the free gift.  This man saw what Jesus was offering. He saw his need, and He was not afraid to cry out for it just moments before his death.  How clearly salvation is of grace!  This criminal had no chance to live godly or to make restitution.  He only had a moment to cry out for salvation, and it was freely given!

After Jesus breathed His last breath and committed His soul to the Father, the centurion had a spiritual epiphany as well.  His heart was touched to the degree that he praised God saying, "Certainly this man was innocent!"  Not only this but all the crowds assembled there returned to their homes beating their breasts in repentance and grief.  Jesus was innocent because He was sinless, and sinless because He was the Son of God.  His death was proof perfection to these people who watched. Since the centurion praised God, he too, like the criminal on the cross, connected with Jesus in a saving way.  His life was changed at the cross just as my life and the lives of all people are changed at the cross!  We all can praise God that in His death we live!  But what about the assembled crowd who went home grieving and repentant?  Only God knows!  Could this have been a saving repentance? Certainly it could if the Father willed it so.

This speaks pointedly to me about sharing Christ with others.  It is the Father's choice who will be His child.  I must only share.  It might be a criminal moments before he dies, an enemy soldier, or a member of an observing crowd.  The Spirit draws those that the Father has chosen.  I wonder if the testimony of my life will be so strong that it will convict others even in the moments of my death?   I wonder if my submission to the Father will be so evident that I will peacefully commend my spirit to the Father?  I wonder if I have the love of Christ filling me to the degree that I will be willingly extending grace to criminals and the enemy?

Father,
As I read this account, I know that I am so deficient in the love of Christ.  Grow this love in me so that I may honor You in all that I do, that my life my share Your message of grace, and that I may reach out to those often ignored.  Keep my eyes on the One who gave me this great salvation through His death.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment