Monday, October 11, 2010

To Old Age and Gray Hairs

Ps. 71:17-18.
"O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim Your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim Your might to another generation, Your power to all those to come."

Like the psalmist, God has taught me from my youth up although there were times when my ears were not keyed into attentive listening, when my wayward will was in control, and when I was not growing firmly in His grace and knowledge. Yet, in spite of my inconsistencies, God was and is faithful. He continues to teach me with His steadfast love and mercy to accomplish His will and purpose in my life: that is, to proclaim His wondrous deeds.  This mission does not end as I grow older; in fact, it gets more important. Now, I must proclaim His deeds to another generation. God's way is for the older to teach the younger, to recount God's marvelous workings, and to attest to His great power. What do I need to help me with this mission?  I need God's grace as a reality and as my strength in all that I do and say.  I want God to be with me consistently until He calls me home so that my eyes will be focused consistently on the prize set before me.

Father,
Help me proclaim Your wondrous deeds to the young and the old.  Take away my fears of being too old to be effective for You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment