Saturday, October 16, 2010

Help in Weakness

Rom. 8:26
"Likewise the Spirit helps in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."

When I am weak, what is my recourse?  I can pray, but many times I really don't know what to pray or what I should ask. Sadly, sometimes I don't even think to pray. In my flesh I try to figure out what to do or how to handle the situation. What is even worse, is when I don't even think, but I just react. Into this downward spiralling mix, indwells the Spirit of God. Even though He is here for all that I need, how often do I remember to ask His help, His guidance? Thankfully, God uses each of my failures to show me my great need for prayer and for His Spirit.

What a gift the Father has given me in the Spirit. He indwells me to convict, lead, guide, teach, and even bring all things to my remembrance that Jesus said. He is the gift that Jesus gave specifically to me so that I might live in the Spirit, in true holiness and righteousness. But He is also the One who intercedes for me. When I am at a loss how to pray, the Spirit prays for me not necessarily in human words but in groans that are according to the will of God. If the Spirit indwells me and is the gift specifically from Jesus for me to use, then I must know all the Bible says about Him and His ministry.  Today, I remember that He is here for my weaknesses, weakness in prayer, weakness in decision making, weakness in holy living, weakness in unkind words, weakness in the war waged between the desire of my inner spirit and the actions of my outer flesh. How can I know the will of God for my life? By knowing and using this great gift from Jesus!

Father,
I confess my prayerlessness. Thank you for the great gift of Your Spirit, for His intercession to keep me in Your will. Help me be aware of Your Spirit moment by moment.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment