Friday, October 15, 2010

My Mindset

Rom. 8:5
"But those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on things of the Spirit."

Since the righteous requirement of the law was met for me when Jesus died on the cross in human flesh taking the punishment for the sins of the world which included mine specifically, I now walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh. What exactly does that mean? It says that those who walk in the Spirit set their minds on things of the Spirit. Certainly, at times my mind is set on things of the Spirit, but what about all the time my mind is elsewhere?  Has my mindset changed?

In this passage it says that this mindset has life and peace. Life is an unchangeable entity. My status changed when the Father drew me to Himself changing my death sentence to a life sentence. No longer separated from God, I have the peace of God and peace with God. Life and peace are the basis of my life, the foundation of my spirit-filled mindset. Next it says that my old mindset was one of hostility to God, but now it is one of obedience and submission to God's laws. This factor changes not only my attitudes but my behaviors. What I choose to say and do differs because of the Spirit of God infilling me. In the flesh I couldn't please God, but now the Spirit transforms me and conforms to the will and word of God so that I can be pleasing to God.  Imagine I can please God! This is not in my flesh without Christ nor in my flesh with Christ. I please Him when His grace is at work in my life moment by moment. The indwelling Spirit brings me a life of righteousness not based on my works but on the righteousness of Christ.

What does all this teaching mean?  How does it answer my questions?  I think it is saying that when I am doing dishes, or laundry, or handling other tasks that are not by nature spiritual, I never lose my mindset.   Now menial tasks are for the glory of God. I am wondering if it could mean that my mind and spirit are on a dual track. At the same time I am working in this fleshly world, the spirit of God is playing the music of the heavens ministering to my soul, spirit, and body. I am thinking that what I must do is remain tuned in to the heavenly symphony and never let my connection fade. His words, His praises, His steadfast love and unending mercy, His attributes, His great grace must be the primary melody of my life with my menial tasks becoming the harmonies existing only to glorify the melody of Jesus.

Father,
Send Your Spirit to show me how to make You my 24/7 connection. Never let me lose sight of You in whatever I am doing. Transform my mindset. Make it conform to Your will and Your purpose.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment