Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Clothed in Humility

I Pet. 5:5b-9
Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

How many times have I asked myself'what I should wear? How many times have I felt that my clothes were out of style? So many times that I can't begin to count. But, how many times have I considered my spiritual clothes? Have I made sure that I was clothed in humility before I set about my day? Have I asked for grace for my helplessness, or have I assumed I had sufficient strength and know-how to handle whatever would come my way? Sadly, the latter has often been my course of action. But here Peter stresses the importance of being clothed, covered in humility because God opposes pride. It is heinous to Him, but human helplessness He loves. I think Peter really understood this conflict of humility versus pride. No doubt it was pride that made  him boldly declare he would never deny Christ. When he blustered and blundered in pride, God revealed his helplessness to him. The end result was that he wept bitterly. His own self-sufficiency had prevented the grace of God to be perfected in him. Instead of moving ahead throughout my day in foolish pride, God wants us to cast our care on Him, throw it over. However, this action is often counter to human thought. When people have cares, they like to worry, mull them over, and hopefully come up with a solution, but God says to give them to him. In that act of casting, we have declared that we are helpless to find the solution. In that state, His grace can come flooding in! His grace is perfected in human weakness! Yes, my human weakness!

Father,
Help me to dress in humility each day casting all my cares on You. Dethrone pride in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment