Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Throne of God

Rev, 4:11
"Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created."

What a scene!A throne was in the midst with one seated on it who had the appearance of jasper and carnelian surrounded by an emerald rainbow--such splendor. What does it even mean? Around this throne were 24 elders clothed in white with golden crowns on their heads. From the throne issued flashes of lightning and peals of thunder. Before the throne were 7 torches of fire (the 7 Spirits of God) and a sea of glass like crystal. Around the throne were the 4 living creatures full of eyes, each with its own form, a lion, an ox, the face of a man, and an eagle in flight, each with 6 wings. They never ceased to praise God saying, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come! As the 4 creatures gave glory, honor, and thanks to God, the 24 elders fell down before the throne worshipping by casting their crowns before Him saying, Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for You created all things, and by Your will they existed and were created. How hard to grasp what this really means! I certainly see the splendor and magnificence, but at the same time I see how all involved can only do one thing, that is give Him praise, honor, and thanks. For all eternity, I think I will praise Him too because He was the One who gave me existence and purpose.
 
In the next chapter, this scene continues. God held the scroll and the angel called out asking for someone who was worthy to open the scroll. No one in heaven and earth was worthy except for the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David who had conquered. There before the throne was the Lamb standing as though He had been slain with 7 horns and 7 eyes which are the 7 Spirits of God. As the Lamb took the scroll, the creatures and the elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp and golden bowls of incense which were the prayers of the saints. How neat! They all sang a song, Worthy are You to take the scroll and to open its seals, for You were slain, and by Your blood You ransomed people for God from every tribe, language, and nation, and You have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth. Then in a great chorus they all sang, Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing! To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever! I must say with the 4 creatures, Amen!
 
Even as I read this account, my emotions swell. How glorious it will be! It really makes me realize how far I have to go to truly praise His name. How little I understand, but thankfully, the Spirit is here to grow me and prepare me for the eternal weight of glory.
 
Father,
Thank You for this glimpse and foretaste. Grow me in praising You and giving You all that You are due. Help me to focus completely on You. Thank You Jesus for being my Lamb who redeemed me and made me part of His kingdom.
In His glorious name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment