Sunday, December 11, 2011

One Voice

Rom. 15:5-6
May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Unity means the strong helping the weak with the goal of edification. This means that the strong must bear with the failings of the weak, but sadly, this is not a common response. More than likely, the strong lose patience with the weak or even neglect them as they struggle along. Why? Because it takes time and consistency to obey what this passage is saying. A relationship that edifies, by its very nature, takes time away from what I want to do. It takes time to build another person up in the Lord. I know that John and I have prayed this verse our marriage. When I am weak, John is strong, and when he is weak, I am strong. So together, if our focus is on Jesus, we can edify one another and with one voice glorify God. With glorifying God as our goal, then our striving against each other loses any significance. Instead of struggling for our rights, we relinquish them to God and desire only to glorify Him. 

Father,
Take away my fleshly desires and my striving to have my own way. Help me to keep my focus on You constantly. Teach John and I to build each other up so that we might glorify You in our marriage.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment