Monday, December 12, 2011

Ministry

Acts 20:24
But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

Paul's experience with Jesus had completely re-focused his priorities. Prior to Jesus he considered his life valuable and of importance, but post Jesus his life was of no value apart from finishing the course and the ministry that Jesus had given him. Plots, ambushes, floggings, or difficulties did not deter his zeal in any way; instead, they seemed to strengthen his resolve in sharing the gospel of the grace of God. 

His commitment to the gospel extended beyond the initial presentation and continued on to discipleship over longer periods of time. As he served the Lord in humility, tears, and trials, he never wavered in teaching and testifying to the Jews and the Greeks. His final words to the flock at Ephesus included a warning to be careful to protect the flock of God. He knew that wolves would come in to scatter and waste the flock, wolves that would come from within the flock, twisting the truth in order to draw men away. He encouraged the believers to be alert! As he left, he commended them to God and the word of His grace. After they knelt to pray together, embracing, and crying, he left to share the gospel of grace with others. What an example of a ministry! Am I ever deterred by negative things that happen in my ministry? Do I continue on disciplining in love, tears, and prayer? Do I say the hard words that will protect the flock?

Father,
Teach me to be Your disciple as I disciple others. Help me to love them with a heart completely committed to You no matter the reception that I receive. Give me courage to speak Your words.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment