Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fruit for God

Rom. 7:4
Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of  Christ, so that you may belong to another, to Him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.

Since the law is binding, the only way to be free of the law is death. Just like in a marriage contract, one partner is not free unless the other partner dies. Similarly, I must die to the law, but how? Amazingly, this is not by anything that I do, but it is through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Not only does His death and resurrection bring me salvation, but it also brings me identity. As a saved person, I belong to Him. I am His and go by His name, Christian. Why would God send His only Son to earth to die a horrible death to provide the way for me to die to the law? Because God wants me to bear fruit for Him. Jn. 15 sheds light on this purpose for my life. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in Him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.  Just like salvation, fruit bearing is a growth process worked out in my life by Jesus.

Father,
Help me bear fruit. Work in my life. Teach me to abide so that Your Holy Spirit has free reign.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment