Monday, December 5, 2011

Treasure in Jars of Clay

I Cor. 4:7-9
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair, persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.

Just the fact that I have the treasure of Jesus in my frail body of clay is overwhelming, but the fact that I have this treasure for a specific purpose adds a greater significance. I actually demonstrate that the surpassing power belongs to God by the way that my focus on life is transformed. I can be afflicted but not crushed. Nothing about life has to destroy me or get me down!! I can be perplexed, not really understanding the why of a situation but not driven out of my mind because I can rest in God as the sovereign planner of my life. I can be persecuted but never alone in the suffering. I can be struck down but never destroyed or even defeated. It is my great calling to carry the death of Jesus in my body so that His life may be manifested as well. What a meaning and purpose for life! I am no longer living for the fulfillment of my flesh or for my personal desires or rights, but I am living to be a window for the surpassing power of God to be displayed to the world. I am living for Jesus now, and this life is drastically different that living for the world, or even living with a small longing for the world. It is 100 % total commitment. 

Because of this I never have to lose heart.  Though my outer self is wasting away, my inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for me an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison as I look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. Everything in my life is for a higher purpose, the big things and even the small, mundane things. This is truly a treasure in a jar of clay! What grace to gift me with all of this! How humbling to realize what God has done for me, for a insignificant jar of clay!

Father,
Keep my eyes fixed on You so that I might never forget Your treasure in my jar of clay. Help me to shine  Your power in all that I do and think. Teach me to listen to Your Spirit as I travel this journey.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment