Sunday, December 18, 2011

Contentment

I Tim. 6:6-8
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

Contentment brings great gain in godliness. As I think through these statements, I ask myself what makes me discontented: unfulfilled dreams and desires, dashed expectations, negative feelings about my acceptance or place in my family, friends, or even church, etc. All of these have to do with ME, what I want, need, desire,  or deserve, not just in things but in areas of receiving appreciation, praise, or respect. To be contented would mean that all that I did, thought, and felt would be Jesus centered. 'I' would be absent from the equation. All my functioning, thinking, dreaming, wishing would be for Him. How hard is that? Truthfully, it is impossible in the flesh, but thankfully, there is grace, His power perfected in my weakness. 

The other thing that I notice about contentment is that just when I think I have it, I don't have it. It is as fleeting as my thoughts and emotions. In a mere second, my flesh can assume control. Truly, this verse reveals the need for the prayer of helplessness. I am helpless and must constantly cry out for grace to be content.

Father,
I am helpless to be content and to constantly rely on You for grace. Give me Your grace to even ask for grace! Fill me and teach me to live contentedly in this world.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment