Friday, December 9, 2011

Hard to Understand

Rom. 9:14-16
What then shall we say? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For He says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who has mercy.

Such a hard concept to grasp! First example is Pharaoh. God told Pharaoh that He wanted to show His power through Pharaoh's life and that His power must be revealed in him. How did that work out? Pharaoh's heart was hardened so that he would not listen to Moses' warning showing clearly that God decides who receives His mercy. But when man hears this story, he is often incensed thinking that Pharaoh did not have a chance. But the passage goes on to say, But who are you, o man, to answer back to God? Does what is molded complain to the molder about its fashion or existence? The same is true of God. He makes vessels of honor and dishonor or to show His wrath and His power; in fact, he has shown great patience toward vessels of dishonor prepared for destruction to make known the riches of His glory and mercy. Even after reading all these verses, I still find this hard to grasp. Why? Perhaps because like most people, I think my thoughts, and feelings should have some importance even to God, and that I should be in making decisions. Yet, even when I read this about God's nature, I remember how He reached down in love to sacrifice His own Son so that I might become His child.  I can only thank Him! But what about those people who are not chosen? I know that I must trust Him and His sovereign will. I have placed my heart and life in His hands and because of that I must trust Him in all the things that I don't understand.

Father,
Thank You for the sacrifice of Your Son. Teach me to rest in You for the things that I don't understand, and if it is Your will, help me understand. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment