Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Debt of Love

Rom. 13:8
Owe no man anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

I am to live with love as my operating principle because God has commanded me to owe nothing but to love one others. If I do this, then I have fulfilled the law. But how can the law be summed up so simply in light of all its many different provisions? Paul points out that the sins of adultery, murder, stealing, coveting, and any other commandment can be summed up in a single concept: Love your neighbor as yourself. Loving others prevents all the negative ineractions that affect most relationships. No wonder love is the identifying mark of those who follow Jesus. In how many people would this be true? If any acquaintance of mine was asked to describe my relationship with other people, would they say I was loving?

Father,
Help me to love as You loved. Help me to look out for the interests of others and not only my own. Help me to think of others above myself. To do this, I need Your grace and strength. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment