Friday, December 23, 2011

Discipline

Heb. 12:6-11
For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?  If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Who likes discipline? Not too many people look forward to it, but hopefully, some people see the value of it. In truth, where would we be without it? In a family situation, what are the children like who have no discipline in their lives? Sadly, they become spoiled and tyrannical, constantly demanding their own way. However, the parent who truly loves their children disciplines them. In fact, this loving act builds in the children character and responsibility. Similarly, God disciplines me. It's foolish for me to dislike or dread discipline because it demonstrates God's love for me and proves that I am His child. It is a vital part of our family relationship. Just like children respect parents who are true to their word and who set proper boundaries, so I respect my heavenly Father. He is always true to His Word, unlike earthly parents, and His boundaries keep me safe, sanctified, and prepared for my heavenly life. In fact, this discipline yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness if I have been trained by it. There is the key. What is my attitude toward this discipline? Are I allowing it to train me, or is my heart rebellious and my neck stiff?  God wants me to be righteous and His way is discipline and sometimes chastisement.

Father,
Thank You for loving me as Your child and for disciplining me so that I can grow to be like Jesus. Keep working on me, Take away any stiffness of my neck and heart.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment