Saturday, March 19, 2011

And the Lord Has Declared

Deut. 26:18
"And the Lord has declared today that you are a people for His treasured possession, as He has promised you, and that you are to keep all His commandments..."

Israel did not earn their favor with God. They did not apply for the job; instead, they were chosen by God. Only a sovereign God would have the wisdom to choose who would be His people and treasured possession. With that choice, God made promises that He would be faithful to keep, but at the same time, the 'treasured possession' must obey all His commandments. The final result would be that He would set them in praise, fame, and honor, high above all nations. Even what they would do as a nation was something that God would establish. Blessings would come from being His possession but only as they were in sync with obedience to His words. God told them repeatedly to be careful to obey.

Likewise, God has chosen me to be His child. "For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, Abba Father! The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ..." It was a choice made by a sovereign God and made known to me by His Spirit. Why has He chosen me? "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people, once you had not received mercy, but you have received mercy." I have the privilege and responsibility to proclaim His excellencies since it is through His mercy and grace that I am His child and heir. I can call Him my Abba Father. I can be part of a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, and a people for His own possession. Wow!

Father,
My heart is so full of thanks for Your choice to make me Your possession. Keep my heart tender and receptive so that I might obey all Your words and share the wonders of Your great excellencies.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment