Thursday, March 17, 2011

No Fear

Deut. 20:1
"When you go out to war against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and an army larger than your own, you shall not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God is with you, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt."

What a promise when war is eminent! If God was for them, who could be against them? Immediately before the battle, the priest would speak to them saying, "Hear, O Israel, today you are drawing near for battle against your enemies: let not your heart faint. Do not fear or panic or be in dread of them, for the Lord your God is He who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory." Even though God promised them the victory and His presence in the battle, He addressed their greatest weaknesses: fainting heart, fear, panic, and dread. What great words to describe human flesh! Even with the living, sovereign God as a fellow warrior, human flesh loses focus. The immediate and temporal supersedes the eternal and divine destroying the possibility of victory. 

God tells me the same thing:
"It is I. Do not fear."
"For God gave us not a spirit of fear but of power and love and self-control."
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
"Do not fear, only believe."

There is the crux of the matter: only believe, believe His words. Certainly, this is a reason to be saturated in the Word so that I may know and have it constantly in my mind and spirit, but beyond my faithfulness to His word and prayer, I need His grace. His grace will be my strength. "My grace is sufficient for you, for My  power is made perfect in weakness." What a great God who willingly gives me His strength, His grace, and the power of His Words!

Father,
Keep me ever in Your Word and seeking future grace. Convict me when my flesh takes control and weakens my faith.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment