Thursday, March 10, 2011

Manslayer vs. Murderer

Num. 35
  
God is definitely aware of the motive and the true heart condition of a person. In this chapter He develops the laws concerning the taking of another's life. Was it an accident or calculated event? If it was an accident, then the person has a course of action. He can go to a city of refuge and find safety, but for the person who murdered another, there is no recourse. The only sentence is death on the evidence of witnesses. If this is not dealt with then the land is polluted, for the blood pollutes the land, and no atonement can be made except for the death of the offender. God's final words: "You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell, for I the Lord dwell in the midst of the people of Israel."

These laws though very specific make me aware of the seriousness of my true motives. God doesn't look on the outward appearance, but He looks on the heart. What happens in my heart must always be in line with His word. In Matt. He states that if I hate my brother, it is the same as murder. Serious words! Do I  defile the temple of my body by my careless obedience to His words? Do I excuse attitudes of the heart because they haven't yet evolved into actions?

Father,
Keep me ever aware of my heart attitudes and the sins which breed there so easily. Grant me repentance so that my temple-body will be pure and sincere before You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment