Friday, March 4, 2011

Perversely Blinded

Num. 22:32:b-33
"Behold, I have come out to oppose you because your way is perverse before me. The donkey saw me and turned aside before me these three times. If she had not turned aside from me, surely just now I would have killed you and let her live."

On the first encounter, Balak sent the elders of Moab and Midian with a divination fee and a request for Balaam to curse Israel. Balaam stayed put and sought the Lord. The answer from God was a resounding, NO. He could not curse these people because they were blessed of the Lord.

Once again Balak sent princes to request Balaam's presence. His answer was "though you give me silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the command of the Lord."  Since money was now in the mix, Balaam asked the Lord again seemingly ignoring the previous resounding, NO. Getting some kind of permission, he went, but not at a great cost. "God's anger was kindled against him." Was it worth it? Was the promise of reward more important than his relationship with God? Was this similar to the quail that the people desired? God gave it to them, but while it was yet in their teeth, God's judgment came upon them! 

As he traveled, the angel of the Lord blocked the way. However, Balaam's spiritual senses were so dulled that he didn't notice, but his donkey did! After the repeated beatings, the donkey remained unmoving. Then the donkey himself questioned Balaam's actions making Balaam exceedingly angry. His pride was so exposed and wounded! But soon, God opened Balaam's eyes and the truth was known. "Behold, I have come to oppose you because your way is perverse before me."  Even though Balaam knew what God had originally said, he tried a second time wanting the money and power. Maybe he thought it was worth a shot. Would God let it slide? He would not! Balaam fell on the ground and confessed his sin.  Balaam did go with Balak, but the end of the story is for tomorrow....

Are my senses ever spiritually dulled by perverse and worldly desires? Do I allow things of this world to cloud my spiritual vision? Are my choices clearly honoring and obeying God?

Father,
Convict me harshly when I choose my own desires over your expressed will. Keep me strong to obey and strong to resist.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment