Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sin is Serious

Num. 27:14
"Because you rebelled against my word in the wilderness of Zin when the congregation quarreled, failing to uphold me as holy at the waters before their eyes."

Moses was given specific instructions because of his sin of failing to uphold God as holy. He offered no excuses, but instead "did as the Lord commanded." Perhaps, it might seem harsh since Moses had to deal with the Israelite's constant grumbling and complaining. Could this one slip be excused by all the times he interceded for them and pleaded their case before God? God's answer was NO. The crux of the matter was not the people, their sin, or even Moses' temper or weakness as a man. The crux of the matter was God. God' s character was degraded by Moses' actions. He did not uphold God as holy before the people God had placed in his life. 

Not only is God's holiness powerful, but there are consequences for violating it! Moses would not enter in to the promised land but only be able to look at it. It is a sobering thought and reminds me of Heb. 12:1-2, "Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross despising the shame and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. "  What are these weights and sins which cling so closely? Could it be violating God's holiness before those He has placed in my life? Could it be giving up and justifying fleshly responses?

Father,
Keep Your holiness ever before my eyes so that I may uphold You as my holy, sovereign God. I confess the power of my flesh that still defeats me. Teach me how to run this race with endurance honoring you as I run.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment