Saturday, March 12, 2011

Idolatry

Deut. 4:24
"For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."

Moses repeatedly warned the people about making carved images in the form of anything that the Lord had forbidden. Why? Because the judgment of God is swift and harsh, and His nature demands totality of worship. He could allow none of His worship to be usurped by another. Moses attested to God's character by sharing his personal account, how he pleaded with God to go into the land, but God said enough. He could look but not go because of His sin of disobedience. Certainly, the people should have believed him. He knew that what God had said was true. But sadly, they did not. Moses told them that when thy had grown old in the land, they would do evil in the land and utterly perish from the land. As a scattered people, they would be few in number and serve false gods. But God in His mercy would one day regather His people to Himself.

In this larger view of time, we see God as jealous and merciful. What He declares in judgment will come to pass, but at the same time, what He says in promise will be true as well. He will not forget the covenant He made with His people. The issue is obedience. Even though God shows Himself strong to His people, will they heed and obey?  Even though God saved me through the death of His son, will I listen and obey all that He says? Since I am a child of His promise, do I live by His promises, or do I build idols of my own making deep within my heart? Do I think that grace will give me more mercy and require less obedience? Or does grace give me the power to obey and cast out the idols of my flesh?

Father,
Keep Your words ever before my eyes. Help me to cry out in helplessness for Your strength to obey and cast out fleshly idols.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment