Monday, March 21, 2011

You Can Do It

Deut. 30:14
"But the Word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it."

What God commanded them was not too hard for them. The commandments were not too far away, not in heaven or over the sea, but very near. In fact, these commandments were in their mouths and their hearts. God had set before them life and good, death and evil. What would they choose? It sounds simple: by loving God, walking in His ways and keeping His commandments they would be blessed of God, but if their hearts turned away to worship other gods, they would perish. It all rested in the power of God's words, the words that would witness against them. What a choice: life or death! It sounds like a no-brainer, but the power of the flesh is so strong. God and Moses both knew how rebellious the people were. Moses even told them that he knew they would act corruptly and turn aside, provoking God to anger.

What a lesson for me about the power of my flesh! I have the words of God as well. They are within my mouth and heart so that they are constantly with me. Like them, I must also love God and obey His words. Sadly, the power of my flesh is equally as strong. Something within the heart of all man is so rebellious, stubborn, and strong-willed. If I love His words and keep them constantly before me, they can convict, comfort and strengthen. They are alive and powerful sharper than a sword able to separate the soul and the spirit. They can reveal my motives and rebellious heart. Thank God, they are the conduit for the power and the grace that I need to obey. They are the witness to me of God's saving and sanctifying power.

Father,
Drive me deep within Your words so that my heart may be one of obedience and praise. Convict me when my flesh strives against You and Your words.  Give me the strength to fight against it.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment